Saturday, July 12, 2008

Amanda July 6, 2008-Part 7 of 10 Captioned

Here is Part 7 of 10 parts of Amanda's Video
(Captioned)

Amanda discusses being born deaf,  the only deaf person in her family, her mom's illness, her brothers' Muscular Dystrophy, the day she got Goldy, Goldy's broken leg, Goldy swimming in the pool.

Helpful hint:  None of this is scripted.  I was voicing for Amanda when she went into this whole ASL story about certain parts of her life.  We had bought the video camera earlier that day, so I was trying to learn how to use it, record her, look at her through the lens and voice for her.  I didn't even think about what I was going to do with the video at that point....or captioning.

When I went to caption it and watched each frame MULTIPLE times....I realized I had misspoken for her more than once.  I had to ask her to come watch the video clip in one part so I could caption it appropriately.  I realized it would be best to mute the sound and just read the captions during the middle segment where her hands are flying a mile a minute and you'll get a more accurate translation.

For clarification purposes:  When Goldy broke her leg, I did not pick her up and carry her to the pool!  When Amanda and I conferred, she was referring to after Goldy came home from the vet, which we took her to promptly, and had her back leg in a cast. Sometime during the time she was in a cast I did indeed pick her up and carry her to the pool so she could be near us since she was just a puppy at the time.

Amanda mentioned her brother, Chris who died at age 14 two years ago.  Amanda's mom died when Amanda was 2 months old and still in the hospital.  She was 1 lb 10 oz when she was born and stayed in the NICU 4 months.

No comments: